Mattermost for Government
Secure, flexible digital workplace solutions for team collaboration
New technologies are changing the way government needs to operate. Today, DevOps, innovation teams, research and operational organizations must continually update their plans to ensure the success of their mission under changing conditions. To be effective, agencies must empower their technology teams with tools that are more flexible than ever before.
Mattermost meets these ever-changing needs with an open source digital workplace that can rapidly adapt while ensuring compliance, security and continual availability. Its encrypted workplace messaging and automation infrastructure integrates with any system, on any cloud, with any user—whether they’re walking through an airport or at the heart of the world’s most restricted data center. Today, the platform is transforming how organizations operate, from ensuring national security and piloting spacecraft to advancing research and deploying mission-critical infrastructure.
To learn more about how Mattermost can help your agency, contact our customer success team.
A secure, modern, open source enterprise messaging solution across web, PC and mobile devices empowers technology teams in vital organizations to rapidly communicate and adapt to new challenges while maintaining compliance and security:
- Raise productivity. Increase organizational agility, efficiency and innovation with powerful, easy-to-use communications and collaboration tools.
- Lower costs and extend the life of legacy systems. Reduce training and replacement expenses by connecting users to existing tools through an intuitive interface.
- Maintain high security standards. Modernize the way your organization collaborates while leveraging and maintaining existing security procedures and infrastructure.
- Increase peace-of-mind with a robust, scalable, compliant platform. Deploy a highly available open source platform designed to scale to serve mission-critical teams while maintaining full auditability.
“When we were looking for a highly secure, easy-to-deploy solution to manage communications for a robust command center on the CBS series Hunted, we found Mattermost. It exceeded our expectations and enabled us to replicate the functions of a well-funded operations center at a fraction of the cost. We were dealing with incredibly sensitive information on the show and the security capabilities of Mattermost were exactly what we needed.”
— Vince Crisler, CEO Dark Cubed / Partner, Fortalice Solutions
Trusted by the best
Learn why high-performance government agencies are embracing Mattermost as a digital workplace that endlessly adapts to their ever-changing needs.
Remote teams keep sensitive client communication private at a government contractor.
VIEW CASE STUDY
The list of Mattermost certifications for the public sector continues to grow; latest criteria met include:
- Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) for Section 508 Accessibility Standards compliance
- Deploys on FEDRAMP compliant AWS GovCloud and Azure GovCloud infrastructure
Are there certifications needed for your deployment? Contact our customer team to see if the certification you need is already in progress.
Mattermost continues to secure governmentwide acquisition contract (GWAC) agreements, including:
- Solutions for Enterprise-wide Procurement (SEWP)
- U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) – planned availability in 2018
Mattermost CAGE code: 7ZTZ9
Architecture and Deployment
The open source version of Mattermost runs as a single Linux binary under MIT license with either a MySQL or PostgreSQL database. It includes web, PC and mobile experiences (iOS and Android) and deploys to your private network and can be made available over the internet via VPN.
The commercial version, Mattermost Enterprise Edition, is recommended for vital or large-scale deployment to provide commercial support and enterprise features. For deployments over 5,000 users, a high availability cluster-mode configuration is recommended. Advanced enterprise search capabilities can also be added to Mattermost Enterprise E20 clusters using Elasticsearch integration.
Above: Mattermost Enterprise Edition Network Diagram
For more information on architecture and deployment, please see our deployment overview.
Secure by Design
Mattermost Enterprise Edition is used by the world’s most security conscious defense and research organizations. The platform is used by many of the world’s most influential countries to ensure national security.
Our solutions deploy within an organization’s private cloud infrastructure under existing security and compliance policies. Security features include:
- Encryption in transit. Mattermost supports TLS encryption using AES-256 with 2048-bit RSA on all data transmissions between client applications and the Mattermost server across both LAN and internet. Connections to Active Directory/LDAP can be secured with TLS or stunnel.
- Encryption at rest. Messages can be encrypted via hardware and software disk encryption solutions applied to the Mattermost database, which resides on its own server under IT’s control. Files stored locally can be encrypted via hardware and software disk encryption solutions applied to the server. Files stored in Amazon’s proprietary S3 system can use server-side encryption with Amazon S3-managed keys.
- Encrypted push notifications. Push notifications to mobile devices can be encrypted in transit with either a private key from your organization, if you choose to compile your own mobile apps, or secured with TLS encryption in transit with the Mattermost mobile apps provided in iTunes and Google Play. See our push notification documentation to learn more.
- Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) and Enterprise App Store Support. Mattermost provides full source code to mobile applications and is compatible with EMM solutions including AirWatch, MobileIron and Good Technology/BlackBerry Dynamics. Moreover, organizations can self-compile the mobile application for deployment into privately hosted enterprise app stores.