Mattermost Team Edition and Mattermost Enterprise Edition now ship new releases every month.
We last shipped March 16, 2017, we’ll next ship April 16, 2017, and we plan to continue shipping Mattermost every month on 16th.
Here are the key reasons:
1) Small improvements sooner – With monthly releases we can quickly ship small improvements and bug fixes in a matter of weeks.
2) Large improvements sooner – When a large feature isn’t ready to ship by our release cut-off date, we only need to wait a month to try again, instead of two months.
3) Higher quality – Running our release and end-to-end testing every month, instead of every two months, means finding issues more quickly.
4) More rigorous prioritization – Short release cycles means we’re forced to select vital additions over ones that are merely compelling.
5) Simple to understand – Saying “Mattermost ships monthly on the 16th” is much easier to explain than a two-month cycle.
That said, this wasn’t an easy decision for us, as there are trade-offs with a monthly release as well:
a) Higher release management cost – Running the process of release, with meetings, checklists and testing, has a high cost, which takes energy away from designing and building improvements to the product.
We’ve focused on automation and streamlining to reduce this trade-off in order to get to monthly releases.
b) Need for notable announcements – Internally we worry when a release goes out whether we’ll have enough compelling new value for people to upgrade. We risk pressurizing ourselves to ship before new improvements are at the appropriate level of functionality.
We’ve decided that we should be comfortable with shipping “boring releases” occasionally, where we may focus a release on creating test automation or bug fixes for an entire release with no compelling “headline” to upgrade.
Have thoughts, experiences, or feedback on what frequency of shipping works best for your products? Please let us know in the comments below.
More about Mattermost:
Install or upgrade Mattermost
Install a new instance of Mattermost with instructions from ourdownload page. Check out ourupgrade guide for guidance on updating to the latest version.
Mattermost Enterprise Edition E10 and E20 are commercial versions of Mattermost designed for large organizations backed by commercial support from Mattermost, Inc. and available by subscription. See the feature list for more detail.
Looking for help on install and upgrade? A subscription also entitles you to upgrade and installation help from Mattermost, Inc.
Learn about new releases, upgrades and security updates from our “Mattermost Insiders” newsletter.